Sunday, November 2, 2008

There might just be some life there yet...

So, I think I like the American version of Life on Mars so far.  I know, I am as surprised as anyone about that.  

Watching it is kind of like watching the Dresden Files television series after reading the books.  The core elements are the same, but everything is just shifted a bit.  The concept for an episode may have the same original origin, but the actual story that gets told is quite a bit different.  The characters you expect are there--but they don't necessarily look or act quite like you expect them to.  It's a little unsettling, but if you can just accept it, both can be enjoyed as completely separate entities.  Other than the same name and premise, one really doesn't have anything to do with the other.

The American producers have often said they plan to go in a completely different direction than the British series, and I wasn't too sure what they meant by that, but now it's a little more clear.  We do know that Sam isn't in the past for the same reasons in the new series as in the original, that much has been flat out stated.  So, not a coma.  American Sam is also reacting very differently, in my mind, to his situation than British Sam did, as far as figuring out what's going on and such.  Also, he is kind of strong-arming the others about his futureness in a very different way.  Whereas British Sam mostly just said, okay, let's try this type of police technique, because really, I swear it works (i.e., surveillance), American Sam tells his nemesis that Soylent Green is really people before said nemesis can see the movie and implores televised Nixon to just resign already.  

I am a little worried that because, so far, we have had many of the same origins for the episode plots there might still end up being a key party episode.  Oh dear God, please not.  Grr.  Sigh.  Though the honey-trap scene was so much better executed in the new version--at least if you discount the incongruity of that scene in the first place (with both versions--it just doesn't work with Sam Tyler--with who he is).  

I would agree with a lot of the critics' complaints that the show is spending way too much time pointing out what the producers feel like were the problems with America in the 70's (and using Sam's unique position to compare those issues with current-day events and ideaologies).  That's gonna get old.  But maybe the producers can get that out of their systems sooner rather than later and we'll all be better off.

My other big complaint about the show (and here I really differ with the critics) is how much they are playing up Lisa Bonet's role in the show.  Okay, yes, I know people are excited that she is back in television.  Great for her.  Here's the problem.  She is the modern day girlfriend of someone who is stuck in the past.  There's not going to be any place for her in this series except for in flashbacks unless they somehow decide to get her to time-travel back to Sam.  While I might be curious to see how that plot device would play out, I really don't think that's what's going to happen.  And you have to be very careful with flashbacks--I can't see where in this story Sam's relationship with Maya could be crucial to his current situation.  But then again, maybe I just lack vision.  I honestly just feel that if the producers wanted to make this Bonet's big return to television they should have either cast her in a bigger role or decided to make Maya some kind of spirit guide for Sam in his journey to the past (maybe in the vein of Al from Quantum Leap, perhaps), rather than using those nifty little robot toys to presage Sam's weird moments of import/clarity/realization with regards to his circumstances.  I'm just sayin.

However, for me, the "pros" column is definitely longer than the "cons" for sure.  My three favorite aspects, in no particular order, are:

-The complete and total lack of that creepy little girl in the television.  Good riddance!  
-Windy, the hippy neighbor who has just invited herself into Sam's life and is serving as his sounding board.  I am still not sure if she's real or just a hallucination of Sam's, but she rocks either way.
-The soundtrack.  They are really making excellent use of the wealth of good music that did manage to come about in that era.  I continue to be extremely impressed in that regard.

All in all, I am definitely along for the ride.  I don't think I'll be heartbroken if the show doesn't make it past the first season, but if it does, I will definitely be watching.  I am just crossing my fingers that the show runners understand that, differences or not, this is still a story that needs to have a pre-planned story arc and a definite ending in sight.  This show can not be good if they try to stretch it out for as many seasons as possible, it just can't.  It is a very story driven idea and the story has to have an ending.

That's my two cents.  Until next time, folks, 
C

No comments: