Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sanctuary, Star Wars, and Geeks, oh my!

I have been so worthless this weekend.  I spent most of yesterday watching Birds of Prey and finished up the series.  Good stuff.  Sigh.  I would have been very curious to see how the series ended up progressing if it had been picked up for a second season.  I think that it would have been quite interesting to have Batman make a brief reappearance in New Gotham and have a showdown of sorts with Huntress.  I wonder if that ever happened in the comic?  Hmm...now I have a new comic series to think about getting into.  As if the forthcoming Farscape comics weren't enough.  

Did you catch the premiere of Clone Wars on Cartoon Network this weekend?  I really enjoyed it.  Like the movie, I felt it was just a nice bit of fun in the way that the original trilogy was.  There's nothing groundbreaking and no shocking new information, but it's characters we know (and sometimes love) just doing their thing.  It's pure entertainment with no higher value or deeper meaning.  Frankly, that's all I want out of a Star Wars cartoon.  Well, that and Yoda completely kicking droid butt.  Good stuff.  I will be continuing to watch this one.  Perfect weekend fodder.  

Also caught the premiere of Sanctuary on SciFi.  I loved it.  I don't know how many of you watched the web series when it was online a year and a half back, but I was really into it.  The television premiere was a much expanded and reworked version of the first eight webisodes--the central origin point of the story.  It was fascinating to see what they changed and what they kept the same, plus getting to see it on my big screen as opposed to my laptop was just wonderful.  

I have heard so many people complaining about Amanda Tapping's British accent on the show, and I have to say, I don't feel these people are actually watching the show.  I am no judge on how good or bad her accent may be, but honestly, I find it difficult to believe that such a trivial detail is what people are focusing on.  I mean, there is some really incredible special effects work going on (something like 90% + of the show is shot on green screen) and I think the story is very engaging.  But that could just be me.  Although apparently enough people felt the same way to get the web series promoted to a full-on television series.  

A few differences of note:  Kavan Smith's cop character was promoted to an actual detective, and from the way they were setting him up, I have hopes that he might make more appearances down the road.  Huzzah!  With Atlantis going away, I have to get my Lorne fix somewhere after all.  They did completely write out David Hewlett's psycho killer character, but I am hoping that means they may bring him back in a different role at a later date.  Much as I am hoping that the fact that the arms dealer, originally played by Peter Deluise, being recast means that said Deluise might be back later on in a different capacity as well.  Of course I am fully aware that most of the recasting probably had as much to do with who was available now as it does with changes to the story arcs and such.  I really am excited to see where it goes.  

One thing they kept the same that I have to say I am very happy about is Ryan Robbins' character of Henry.  He plays exactly the kind of tech guy/nerd/smartass that I just want to hug.  I love it.  You may know him better as Ladon Radim on Stargate Atlantis or from his appareances as the bartender on Battlestar Galactica.  I am happy to see him whenever he pops up, but I think his role on Sanctuary is my favorite.  I like him much more when he's not throwing Cylon collaborators out of an airlock or faking Lorne & team's deaths so he can do genetic research on them...

Also, looks like Christopher Heyerdahl's character of Jack the Ripper is going to be playing a much bigger part in the series than I originally would have guessed.  You've got to love a present day monster-series that includes Jack the Ripper.  From what I understand, they might even be bringing Sherlock Holmes in at some point.  Excellent.  Besides, Heyerdahl is just kind of an incredible actor.  I think he's probably good to have around.  Stargate fans know him as both Halling and Todd the Wraith from Atlantis.  He also did a stint on Smallville as Clark's crazy Kryptonian uncle Zor-El.  

That may be one of my favorite things about this series, honestly.  Aside from Amanda Tapping, the main roles are pretty much unknowns to me, but all of the guest and recurring characters are a veritable who's who of sci-fi actors.  It means more chances for me to get to play my little trivia game.  

Anyhoo, as you can tell, I was very pleased with the new product.  Looks like next week's episode wraps up the last of the stories told on the original online run, and after that we'll start to get into brand new territory.  I can't wait!

In other news, I did give The IT Crowd a shot and loved it.  It was a perfect combination of nerd and British humor.  So I will be adding that to my lineup.  Good thing Tuesday's aren't that crowded for me.  Also, it reminded me to be nicer to the IT guys at my office.  Seriously, it's a bad idea to get on the wrong foot with the people who make your computers function.  

And last but not least, my hubby and I have been making our way through Freaks and Geeks whenever we get the chance to watch some DVDs together.  We're up to episode six I think.  It baffles my mind how many brilliant shows just get killed before their time because they don't appeal to the Deal or No Deal crowd.  I think the networks have lost sight of the actual purpose that should be served by television and are just aiming to make money these days, apparently at the cost of their souls.  Sigh.  Okay, will end rant before it can get a full head of steam.  

It is a little weird (in a fun way) watching this show now that John Francis Daley is a regular on Bones.  In some ways I kind of feel like his character of Sam Weir on F&G could totally have grown up to be his character of Dr. Sweets on Bones.  I want to give them both a hug either way.  

Well, that's all I've got for you.  Methinks I will start watching season two of Eureka today.  I can get my Fargo fix so I'll last until the show comes back next year.

Take care all.

C

No comments: